The World War II soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division would say, “Sempre Avanti!” or “Always Forward!”
The original 10th Mountain Division was formed in Nov. 1941. It was the only U.S. military unit since the Civil War to be recruited by a civilian entity, the National Ski Patrol. Many of its soldiers were skiers, some forest rangers, lumberjacks, others outfitters and guides, anyone that could take care of themselves out of doors in all four seasons. The Division trained at Camp Hale, Colorado and Camp Swift Texas until January 1945 when they were the last U.S. Army division committed to the European Theatre. The Division fought in northern Italy for over 110 days in combat, took every objective and never retreated. 1,000 of the division were lost in action, many more wounded.
After the war, the Division was deactivated and its members scattered to ski areas all over the country working in mountain management, on ski patrols, ski schools in opening new areas. Veterans of the World War II 10th Mountain Division are often credited with founding the modern American ski industry.
The 10th Mountain Division was reactivated in 1985 and is based today at Fort Drum, New York. Since its reactivation, the Division has been the most deployed of all U.S. Army divisions since the Second World War.
Now, the Tenth Mountain Division Foundation carries forward the legacy and memory of America’s World War II alpine and winter warfare soldiers. And you can join us!